Information Collected by Magnate
We only collect personal information that is relevant to the purpose of our website and software. This information allows us to provide you with a customized and efficient experience. We collect the following types of information from our users:
Information You Provide to Magnate
- We receive and store any information you enter on our website or provide to us in any other way. You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but then you may not be able to take advantage of many of our special features.
- Registration: In order for you to use certain Magnate services you must complete a registration form. As part of this registration form, we require select personal information.
- User Profile: To allow you to express yourself beyond just the information collected during registration, we enable you to provide additional information, such as a bio, favorite URLs, and instant messaging IDs. In addition, you may choose to include photos of yourself in your profile. As indicated below, in the section titled "Sharing Your Information", you can control how your information is displayed and used.
- Automatic Information:
- We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. Magnate and its authorized agents automatically receive and record certain "traffic data" on their server logs from your browser including your IP address, cookie information, and the page you requested. Magnate uses this traffic data to help diagnose problems with its servers, analyze trends and administer the website.
- Magnate may collect and, on any page, display the total counts that page has been viewed. This includes User Profile pages.
- Many companies offer programs that help you to visit websites anonymously. While Magnate will not be able to provide you with a personalized experience if we cannot recognize you, we want you to be aware that these programs are available.
Magnate is very concerned about your privacy and we will never record or transmit location information without your explicit permission. The Waypoint EDU app does not record or transmit GPS location information to Magnate servers.
We will never provide your email address to a third party without your explicit permission, as detailed in the "Sharing Your Information" section below. Magnate may send out e-mails with Magnate-related news, products, offers, surveys or promotions. You may also receive notification e-mails from Magnate, which inform you of actions (e.g. friend requests) that have been performed on the site. If you do not want to receive e-mail from us, please visit the Email Preferences section of your User Profile and/or follow the instructions contained in the unwanted e-mail message. However, please note that in all cases you will continue to receive all system e-mails (e.g. those regarding forgotten user passwords) and legal notices (e.g. updates to our policies) from us.
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and tell us how and when pages in our website are visited and by how many people. Magnate cookies do not collect personal information, and we do not combine information collected through cookies with other personal information to tell us who you are or what your screen name or e-mail address is.
Sharing Your Information
Because Magnate enables people to discover and share information with one another, information about the people who use Magnate is an integral part of the Magnate experience. Rest assured that we neither rent nor sell your personal information to anyone and that we will share your personal information only as described below.
- Magnate Personnel: Magnate personnel and authorized consultants and/or contractors may have access to user information if necessary in the normal course of Magnate business.
- Business Transfers: In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets. In these types of transactions, user information is typically one of the business assets that is transferred. Moreover, if Magnate, or substantially all of its assets, were acquired, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred.
- User Profile information: Information collected during registration and subsequent visits, such as your full name and location, may be displayed to other Magnate users in your User Profile. The User Profile is the area on Magnate where we allow you to tell other Magnate users about yourself. You may control what personal information is displayed in your User Profile by visiting the Settings section of your User Profile.
- Followers' Activity: Much like other online social networks, Magnate allows non-followers to browse your followers activity.
- Syndication: Magnate allows for the RSS syndication of all of its public content within the Magnate website.
- With Your Consent: Except as noted above, we will contact you when your personal information is shared with third parties or used for a purpose incompatible with the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected, and you will be able to opt out to prevent the sharing of this information.
Keeping Information Secure
- Your Magnate account information is protected by a password for your privacy and security. Protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer by logging off once you have finished using a shared computer.
- Only employees who need personal information to perform a specific job (for example, a customer service representative) are granted access to it. All of our employees are kept up to date on our privacy and security practices.
Ways to Control Display and Use of Your Information
- As stated previously, you can always opt not to disclose information, but then you may be unable to use certain features on our websites or in our software applications.
- Please note that if you have signed up to receive e-mail from Magnate you will receive all system e-mails (e.g. those regarding forgotten user passwords) and legal notices (e.g. updates to our policies) from us, until you have opted out of Magnate e-mail.
- As explained earlier, the "help" portion of the toolbar on the majority of browsers will direct you on how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to command the browser to tell you when you receive a new cookie, or how to fully disable cookies. Please note, however, that if your browser does not accept cookies, you will not be able to take advantage of some of our attractive features.
The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) protects the personal information of children under the age of 13. This applies to individually identifiable information about a child that is collected online, such as full name, home address, email address, telephone number or any other information that would allow someone to identify or contact the child. The Act and Rule also cover other types of information – for example, hobbies, interests and information collected through cookies or other types of tracking mechanisms—when they are tied to individually identifiable information. It is important for you to understand this law; we encourage you to read more about COPPA.
Magnate is committed to providing a safe, secure, and fun online experience for children who visit our site. We are dedicated to safeguarding any personal information collected online and to helping parents and children have positive experiences on the Internet. Consistent with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, we will never knowingly request personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13 without prior verifiable parental consent.
Children under 13 can submit only their e-mail address when sending us an e-mail in our "Contact Us" or "Support" sections. Magnate uses the e-mail address to respond to a one-time request from a child under 13 and then deletes the e-mail address.
Although children under 13 may be allowed to participate in some contests and promotions by providing their e-mail address, if such a child wins, notification is sent to the child's e-mail address asking for their parent's e-mail address so an e-mail can be sent to their parent who will provide the required information. This information is used solely to conduct the sweepstakes and fulfill prizes.
Conditions of Use